Entertainment Weekly says, “CL doesn’t care about your silly Song of the Summer race—she’ll drop a solid-gold banger in the middle of August just because she can, and it’ll still sound better than most of the songs gunning for the title.”
And yes, indeed she just did. It was like the most calculated non-calculation. Just when we needed a late-summer boost, here it was. And despite the coy starts and stops to her ‘U.S. debut’, it seems like she just went ahead and showed us the goodies rather than tease us with some drawn-out PR.
This is the official video.
Yes, after the oh-so beautiful and expensive-looking New York aerial footage – it was BAM! Okay, what a way to get the day started on your fire escape.
Many YouTuber reactions showed googley-eyed shock. First to the flesh. Then to the smoke.
But most just went with it and started to groove and cheered on the ‘queen’. I had no idea how many legions of followers Queen CL has. She’s already queen and she hadn’t even ‘debuted’ in her new country yet. Talk about some sovereignty.
Of course I was a bit skeptical of the sin and depravity. But everyone’s journey has their own set of pluses and minuses to create the magic formula of a life well lived. It was nice though to see some people share some of my reservations. Like, ‘what she know about a 40?’ Well, apparently she do.
In terms of who was more cute to watch, CL or the reactor, it was a toss up when Topp Dogg Hansol posted his reaction. See how he tries to figure out the lyrics. I couldn’t understand it all either. “Get off my cow, car, cloud?”
But sometimes you just need someone who just cheers you on the whole way no matter what you do. YAAAAAAAAASSSSS. YAAAAAAAAASSSSS. YAAAAAAAAASSSSS. YAAAAAAAAASSSSS. YAAAAAAAAASSSSS.
And this girl reacted most closely to how I would. We are old aunties.
- People were super impressed with her back arch at 0:28. I had no idea that was so cool.
- After watching a series of reactions, it was fun to see who knew Method Man showed up at 1:40. And then after watching more reactions, you started to judge those who just thought he was some random dude. Like c’mon Method Man! (yeah, though I still need to google who he is.)
- Right at the *potential* lull, she is back BOOM at 2:14 with her twerking. Eyes are shocked. Men are panting.
- The end is cheesy with the clouds, but it seems they had to justify the expensive aerial footage and somehow fit it into the video. It really doesn’t match stylistically. But if she’s gonna be lifted, conceptually the upper strata had to be there.
- But the end doesn’t matter because this video has probably one of the best opening-to-midpoint sequences ever made. By the time you’re halfway in, you’re sold.
Congratulations CL! Just keep making stuff and don’t try to live up to expectations. You’re smart at experimentation and that will keep you away from being lumped into the pack. Stay out of the summer song game and extend it to fall, winter and spring! Drop it hot when everyone else is out playing.